I recently got my hands on a new apron book: A is for Apron. It’s full of fun and lovely aprons, many pictured with fabrics that I actually have in my stash! I’m so inspired by the book that I thought I’d do a brief review.
A is for Apron showcases 25 “fresh & flirty designs” for aprons, and includes the patterns and instructions for each. The patterns are listed in the back of the book and must be enlarged to be used directly. But the book does give some measurements on the pattern pieces, so I was able to figure out the dimensions for the apron I decided to make as a tester: Josephine.
This is one of the more complicated aprons in the book. It’s a reversible full apron and the skills a sewist uses include buttonholes, casings, ruffles, bias cutting and topstitching. It took me about 4 hours to make it, but some of that time was spent trying to figure out parts of the instructions.
Along the way, several small steps were left out. For example, the neck strap is cut as two pieces (more on that in a minute) but the instructions neglect to tell the sewist to sew them together to make one long piece. Later, when attaching the neck strap to the bodice, the book is not clear which side (right side vs wrong side of the bodice) to attach the strap to. Little things that are obvious to an experienced sewist, maybe not so much to a beginner.
Regarding the suggested cutting layout: in an effort to be ultra frugal with the fabric, the instruction direct one to cut some things in smaller pieces (such as the neck straps and the long waist ties). I’d much rather use a wee bit more yardage and not have seams in the middle of my ties.
Overall, its a great book, I’d give it 4 stars. I’m already planning to make at least two more aprons from it and I’m sure it will continue to inspire me every time I open it.
Here is my Josephine:
I choose two bright bold prints…both with pinks, purples & greens. My first challenge was that the butterfly print is very directional and so I couldn’t cut it on the bias as the pattern called for. It didn’t seem to make a difference. The other big challenge was figuring out the settings on my ruffler foot so I didn’t have to hand gather that ruffle at the bottom. I ended up with a few inches extra ruffle, so that was good (rather than too little!).
Here’s a close up of the bodice, the top gathers with a tie. Also, a close up of the fabrics I used.
I’ll be listing this apron at Retro Femme, hopefully by tomorrow, for Friday’s stocking. It’s also our Father’s Day stocking, and I’ll be trying another pattern from the A is for Apron book to make a Dad’s BBQ apron. I have 3 customs bags and one custom apron to finish. Plus my 3 yo keeps asking for a “green dwess with fwowers”. So I should have lots of fun things to post this week!!