BlueflowerTreasures

July 16, 2008

A is for Apron: Provence Smock

Filed under: A is for Apron, sewing — Tags: , , , , , — Lady M Quilts @ 10:47 am

click for link to Amazon

 

This apron is one of the reasons I bought the book.  I love the look and style of it and knew it would be a great pregnancy apron.  And now that I’ve made it, I love it even more.

This apron is designed by Joan Hand Stroh.  It is one of the more complicated aprons in the book, but well worth the effort.  It took me about 3 hours all together to cut and sew it.  A large chunk of that time was dealing with the bias binding.

Most sewists have things they don’t like to do.  For many, it is zippers or buttonholes.  For me, it is narrow bias tape binding.  I struggle to keep the fabric tucked it and sew the very narrow tape in a straight line.  If I were to make this again, I think I would go through the hassle of making my own bias tape in a slightly wider width…or maybe just alter the pattern to do regular hems.

I made a couple changes, the most important is that I lengthened the neck straps by about 8″.  I’m a plus size woman and pregnant to boot.  When I pinned together the pattern pieces to do a quick test fit, the strap that should stretch from one’s shoulder the the side of the apron only reached just past the middle of my back.  So anyone sewing this apron who is “plus size” (I’d say size 14 or up) should do a test fit and lenghten as needed.

One thing to double check before you start is if you have enough fabric.  The pattern say 1.5 yards.  I needed closer to 2.  My fabric was directional, so that may have something to do with it.  But just to be safe, lay everything out before you cut.

The instructions, as I’m finding to be typical in this book, are sometimes confusing or strange.  For example, instruction number 3 says to attach “the bias tape across the top front of the apron”.  What they want you to do is attach the bias tape all around the edges of the front (skirt) of the apron but NOT the top:  that is where you will be gathering.   The last step tells you to fuse a small square of interfacing for the button to the neck strap, rather than the apron front. 

The instructions also have you jumping back and forth.  Add interfacing to the neck straps for the buttonholes, then trim the yoke, then sew the pockets together (but not onto the apron).  It says to stitch the gathering stitches for both the pocket and the apron, but then set them aside and pick up the yoke and neck straps again and join them together. 

I think it makes more sense to do all the steps to the neck and yoke at once, then stitch and gather the apron front.  Oh, and those pockets?  I think they would be easier to put on the apron before it is gathered, rather than after as the instructions say…but maybe that’s just me?

Here are my pockets.  I used some vintage ribbon I have rather than the dreaded bias tape.

This pattern is another of the ones I had enlarged at the local copy place and that brings to mind one more thing I wish the book did:  put the name of the pattern on the pieces.  It’s written on the page the pattern is printed on, but once you cut out the pieces, the name is gone.  I’m a pretty organized sewist, but still sometimes find random pattern pieces wandering around my sewing room.  It would be helpful if the name were printed on each piece in little tiny letters that would be clear to read at 400% enlargement.

Summing it up:  great apron, good pattern, fair instructions and a lovely end result.

Advertisements

July 7, 2008

A is for Apron: Waldorf

Filed under: A is for Apron, sewing — Tags: , , , , , , , , — Lady M Quilts @ 6:06 pm

click pic for link

As I was cleaning up my sewing room in preparation for my month of family sewing, I found this apron, all cut out and ready to go, it just needed stitching up.  It seemed the work of just a few minutes to put it together.  This is the Waldorf apron, designed by Erin Harris, from A is for Apron.

Here is my version, in Amy Butler’s Brown Lacework:

Here are the changes I made:

* I used wider bias tape.  I did this for two reasons.  The first one was that I wanted to really highlight the pink in the flowers.  The second was that it was what I had and I’m trying to use what I have this month.

* I added a muslin lining.  Again, for two reasons.  The first is to further protect the user’s clothing.  The second and more important is that I’ve have terrible luck with bias binding staying on a single layer of fabric after multiple washings…it tends to pull off. 

I’m thinking of adding a pocket to this…but can’t decide.

The directions in the book for this apron were much better than the Josephine apron.  No skipped steps, but some were a little fussy for an experienced sewist…taking two steps to do something that could be done in one.  For example, when sewing the ties, the instructions say to sew along the long edge (right sides are folded together).  Then the next step says go back and sew the 45 degree angle on one end.  I did this all at once.  Minor stuff and easily combined for those with experience.

This is also the first pattern from this book that I used an actual enlarged pattern.  I took the book to our local office supply store, made a photo copy of the pattern page and they scanned it and reprinted it at a 400% increase.  Each extra large copy cost about $3, so I’m doing two or three at a time.

Overall, I’m very happy with this apron.

Blog at WordPress.com.