BlueflowerTreasures

July 7, 2008

A is for Apron: Waldorf

Filed under: A is for Apron, sewing — Tags: , , , , , , , , — Lady M Quilts @ 6:06 pm

click pic for link

As I was cleaning up my sewing room in preparation for my month of family sewing, I found this apron, all cut out and ready to go, it just needed stitching up.  It seemed the work of just a few minutes to put it together.  This is the Waldorf apron, designed by Erin Harris, from A is for Apron.

Here is my version, in Amy Butler’s Brown Lacework:

Here are the changes I made:

* I used wider bias tape.  I did this for two reasons.  The first one was that I wanted to really highlight the pink in the flowers.  The second was that it was what I had and I’m trying to use what I have this month.

* I added a muslin lining.  Again, for two reasons.  The first is to further protect the user’s clothing.  The second and more important is that I’ve have terrible luck with bias binding staying on a single layer of fabric after multiple washings…it tends to pull off. 

I’m thinking of adding a pocket to this…but can’t decide.

The directions in the book for this apron were much better than the Josephine apron.  No skipped steps, but some were a little fussy for an experienced sewist…taking two steps to do something that could be done in one.  For example, when sewing the ties, the instructions say to sew along the long edge (right sides are folded together).  Then the next step says go back and sew the 45 degree angle on one end.  I did this all at once.  Minor stuff and easily combined for those with experience.

This is also the first pattern from this book that I used an actual enlarged pattern.  I took the book to our local office supply store, made a photo copy of the pattern page and they scanned it and reprinted it at a 400% increase.  Each extra large copy cost about $3, so I’m doing two or three at a time.

Overall, I’m very happy with this apron.

Blog at WordPress.com.