BlueflowerTreasures

July 14, 2008

Woven skirts for a girl

Filed under: sewing — Tags: , , , , , , , — Lady M Quilts @ 6:10 am

**This post was originally written on Friday the 11th, but I clicked save instead of publish**

Today I finished four skirts for my next oldest daughter (she is 7)…just in time to take with her as she spends a week with her grandparents.

The first two are simple woven skirts.  I take a rectangle that is 2 inches longer than the finished length and about 1 1/2 times her waist measurement.  I serge the short ends together to make a tube, hem the bottom using a super quick serge, turn and stitch method and then serge on elastic, turn it and stitch down.  Quick and easy.  These are “play” skirts and so I don’t want to spend much time on something that she’ll soon be climbing a tree in.

 

I did spend more time on this one.  It’s a strip pieced woven skirt with a border hem.  Very cute and, again, pretty easy to do.  Each strip is a trapezoid with the top being approx 1/6 of the waist measurement + ease.  In this case, her waist is 22″ and I went up to 30″ to give plenty of room to pull the skirt on and off and to allow for a little twirly action.  So 30 divided by 6 is 5 inches plus 1/2″ seam allowance.  For the bottom, I wanted a full skirt, so I doubled the top measurement to 60, again divided by 6 to get 10 inches and added my seam allowance.  The length was 22 inches (the skirt falls to mid-calf).

The waistband is a 6″ wide piece of knit folded over to form a casing for a piece of elastic.  The border hem was a little tricky to get on, because the hem curves and I did not cut the hem fabric on the bias.  But I subdued it with my iron and it looks great.

Oh, I also did a quick A-line knit skirt for her, too:

This fabric has been in my stash for a couple years and I’d really forgotten I have it.  I have about 4 more yards, so the other girls will be getting skirts or dresses, too.

Since I’m keeping track, I used about 3 yards of fabric for these skirts, bringing my total to 5 yards so far.  I really need to get busier.

Next up…hmm…so many choices, but I’m going to be spending most of my weekend working on our garden, it’s time to plant spinach, cauliflower, turnips, more carrots and peas and beans…all for a September harvest.   I’m not getting as much sewing time this month as I planned.

One last thing…at our ultrasound this week, we found out our newest little blessing will be a boy!  That brings our family to 3 girls and 3 boys.  The wee one looks perfect and was having lots of fun trying to kick off the ultrasound transducer.  Less than 4 months to go now!

Have a great weekend!!

Advertisements

March 16, 2008

I won! I won!

Filed under: sewing — Tags: , , , , , — Lady M Quilts @ 8:26 am

A rare Sunday post from me to say:

I WON!

I enter giveaways all the time and never expect or really even hope to win.  So I was so excited to see that I’d won a giveaway!!  I won 2 patterns from SewSensible.   I picked the Faith and DressTop patterns.  They both look fun and also easy to modify to fit the different personalities of my girls.

faith.jpgdresstop.jpg

She has several other super cute patterns, go check them out!!

February 13, 2008

Reversible A-line toddler dress

Filed under: sewing — Tags: , , , , , — Lady M Quilts @ 3:18 pm

I’m very pleased with the first dress from the pattern I drafted the other night.

I had to cut off about 3″ in length…don’t know how I thought my 3 yo was that tall!  Even now, it still comes just past mid-calf on her, so I think I will shorten in a bit more next time.

It’s also a little tight when she is putting it on, so I’m going to deepen the armhole just a bit.  The chest is perfect once it’s on, it is just the getting there. 

Other than those pattern corrections, I will be praticing my tight turn stitching.  A close look reveals that the tabs are not uniform.  In fact, out of four, only one looked good when I turned the dress right side out and then I mucked it up during top-stitching due to SWT.  Sewing With Toddler.  My 13 mo had gotten up a bit early from his nap, but I really wanted to finish the topstitching.  Of course, he wouldn’t consent to being entertained by one of his four older siblings, but had to stand on his slightly unsteady legs and pull on my arm while I sewed.

The evidence:

Maybe easier to see here:

 It’s good enough for a first-off dress and S. loves it.

Other things to work on or change:  I need to clip corners more tightly, there is too much puckering in spots and I’m not thrilled with the button closures.  I just know her hair will get caught in them.  I have a snap thingie…not a press, but the kind you use a hammer with.  If I make bunches more of these (remember,  I have 3 daughters), a real snap press would be well worth the expense.

I’m also toying with the idea of making some to sell…it’s hard to find cute and modest little girl dresses nowadays.  I’ll have to make a few more before I decide.

 Thanks for looking!

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.